Petcock Issue

SilverTalon

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I finally had the carbs put back on and took the bike out for my first day of the season. For some reason if I have the petcock on "on" or "res" it won't fuel the engine. If I switch to "pri" it works fine.

Is there something I can check out to see what the issue is, or is it going to be very complicated?

no, all mine are connected. the vacuum pipe will be the easiest to check. It runs from behind the tap, over the frame spine and to the right side inlet. just check for splits and connections.

the petcock will need stripping so you may as well buy a repair kit before hand, if the vacuum pipe checks out ok!

quick check. disconnect the fuel line,disconnect vacuum line off carbie and give it a suck
if fuel doesnt comes out vacline is pinched or cracked ,probably.

The vacuum actuated plunger in the petcock can also stick in the seat of the petcock if there is corrosion. A messed up seat can also result in the o-ring of the plunger not seating properly when the bike is shut off and fuel leaks into the carbs and runs into the air box(es). I'm having that problem with the one on my '79 now.

When we had the tank off, the fuel would leak through the left side tube, but not the right side.

I'm not the proficiant with fuel lines. For now will I be able to ride with the switch on prime?

Again, worked before we Took the carbs and tank off

I'm a little unclear. The petcock should have one tube going to an intake boot to supply engine vacuum to the petcock that simply pulls a valve open. The other tube should supply fuel to the carbs. Which is the left and right? Fuel should only come out one.

When we had the tank off, the fuel would leak through the left side tube, but not the right side.

I'm not the proficiant with fuel lines. For now will I be able to ride with the switch on prime?

Again, worked before we Took the carbs and tank off
Yes you can ride in the prime position,you may have connected the lines wrong.

xs400rjpetcock2.jpg

If there is nothing hooked up to the vacuum, it will only run on PRI because in the ON position, vacuum is supposed to pull the valve open.

There is supposed to be a tube from the smaller barb on the petcock to a barb on the carb holder, which is this:

481464.jpg

...and is located right here:

20070525041834petcock19.jpg

It only needs to be hooked up to one carb inlet, right or left, doesn't matter. However, whichever one you don't use, make sure you cap it so air cannot be drawn in.

If you get that hooked up and it still does not work in the ON position, well then, yep, a petcock rebuild is in order.

Last edited:
If there is nothing hooked up to the vacuum, it will only run on PRI because in the ON position, vacuum is supposed to pull the valve open.

There is supposed to be a tube from the smaller barb on the petcock to a barb on the carb holder, which is this:

481464.jpg

...and is located right here:

20070525041834petcock19.jpg

It only needs to be hooked up to one carb inlet, right or left, doesn't matter. However, whichever one you don't use, make sure you cap it so air cannot be drawn in.

If you get that hooked up and it still does not work in the ON position, well then, yep, a petcock rebuild is in order.

just need to wait for it to cool off and then I can take a look

just need to wait for it to cool off and then I can take a look

TLDR=:bike:->:yikes:-:mad:->:bike:->:wtf:->:doh:->:bike:->:D->:yikes:->:banghead:->:mad:

Ok fellows, here's the update.

Stupidly, I did not have the vacuum line hooked up to the petcock. I hook it up, things run great, better than without. Then after a bit I stall out.

"SHIT!" I think, must be the battery again. Except the lights aren't having an issue. So I get it started again and the bike begrudgingly brings me down the street.

After more trouble, it seems to be working better, so I give it another test, going down the street. I stall yet again.

I try starting it, auto and kick, for about 5 minutes, get it slowly going again. It again begrudgingly takes me home.

I immediately got my multimedia out, and the battery is fine. I'm assuming I kinked a line somewhere. Would it behoove me to replace the fuel lines, which have probably never been replaced, before completely redoing the petcock?

On top of that, has anyone recently bought tubing, and knows what sizes to buy? 1/2" for the fuel, 1/4" for the vacuum?

Last edited:
so I put a new fuel line in, new vacuum line, and a small filter.

11b2r9w.jpg

Hopefully it works out better tomorrow. Haven't tested yet.

Back