Maybe you guys can start my bike for me...

They are the ones at the top of the carb (on the outside) near the front (engine side), right? I only upped the main jet one size.

Never seen/heard it running. Bought it from a guy who collects 80s jap bikes, restores some, and sells projects.

Electric start works now, I put in a used motor to replace mine (which was fried). I wonder if one of the PO's burned out the starter trying to get this pig running! New battery with full charge, cranks beautifully.

Would a video of it trying to start be helpful in any way?

Yeah, a video cannot hurt.

Yes, those are the idle mixture screws. Can you turn them in all the way and count how many turns they were at? Once they are in all the way turn them both out 3.5 turns. When you're turning them in be very gentle. You can break the tips off the screws if you tighten them too much. Just be careful if you feel any resistance.

Okay, this is getting weird.

Yesterday I pulled the cam cover off to check out what the cam timing was. So I line up the timing marks behind the alt cover to "LT". I was excited to see that the ATU pin on the camshaft was at the 6o'clock position. This would explain everything, right? If it's 180° out of time, then the intake valves would be opening while the plugs would be firing, which explains smoke coming from the filters. So I sync it all up with the LT mark, the ATU pin, and the blip on the sprocket, all at 12o'clock. At this point I'm pretty confident that I finally got it right; it's getting fuel, spark, has good compression, and now the timing is set. What more does it need to run?

So I plug it all back together, throw the tank on it and hook up the gas. Hit the start button, it cranks for a second, and then carbs are blown right off the intake boots! Along with a big smoke cloud.

WTF?!

I noticed my rocker arms have some pitting in them, so I'm getting a used assembly to put it. Once I replace that, I can verify the timing again.... but it's official:

I'm stumped.

out your thumb over the spark holes (sparks out)

this will tell you when compression is happening (ie both in/ex valves closed)

the LT should then be on the mark. seems you may have either the cam installed wrong or you were off timing by 180'

I tried switching the coil plugs that are right out of the harness around... but not the plug wires.

So timing was checked again, and it appeared to be hitting "LT" mark on intake stroke. So I found the compression stroke, and lined up everything at 12 o'clock.

Another thing I noticed today that may indicate some big problems...

I went to kick it over with the kick starter, but it didn't feel right at all. It feels like there's resistance, but the engine doesn't turn over. Uh-oh? It worked before (I used the kicker to turn it over before I put in the new starter).

also check the ignition timing too.

as for the kicker, that's usually the clutch; either your holding it in or it needs adjusting

If your cases are lacking oil or clutches dry your kicker will react just as you have described..also static timing is fully described in the manual.

Xschris wins! Today on my lunch hour I swapped the plug wires and tried it out. Not even 5 seconds of cranking, and she was going. I shut it off right away since I was inside the shed, and had to get back to work... So I'm not sure how it runs, but she's alive!!

So apparently someone took the bike apart and put a used engine in, but didnt know how to put it back together. The timing was off 180deg and the coils were on the wrong sides. I did verify that the plugs were plugged into the correct coils, only the coils were mixed up, never even thought to check them. Thanks everyone for your help and advice, Im sure I will need help fine tuning everything.

E

She's a beast! Might need to turn down the idle a notch or 2 :eek: Running about 3800 haha But at least it's running! Tomorrow I'll pop the mufflers back on so my neighbors don't hate me [as much] and turn it down.

Next up is brakes so I can ride this thing :bike:

Back